Skip to main content

Made by my customer: Interview to Carrol Swanson - How to make an Halloween bag


Hi Carrol,
tell us about how you made this wonderful Halloween bag.

I usually make my bags from scratch but I ran across a great deal on these sturdy canvas bags so I snatched them up to save myself some time. I also bought the Frida Altered Homage digital file from TakeYourPicture.Etsy.com. For the reverse side, I used a crow to tie in with the crows on Frida’s picture. Next, I bought some Halloween fabric – crows of course, and gathered up some trims. Now we’re ready to sew. Opening the top seam of the bag was simple and I pulled off the handles. We don’t want boring handles so I covered them with a strip of fabric that I’d gathered up the center. Then I made a lining for the bag – exactly the size of the purchased bag. Now comes the best part – the photos.


Digital art is wonderful. It’s inexpensive and once you buy the file you can use it again and again and again!
The art Lucia makes for Take Your Pictures is truly incredible! And when you print your file you’ll be impressed with the quality of the pictures. Thank you Take Your Picture and darling Lucia!!

I printed my picture choices on canvas, cut them to the size I wanted, and sewed them to my bag with a decorative stitch.

Next, I added a few items to give it a little dimension – a leaf on Frida’s side and a feather for the crow. (Yes, that’s a real feather but the leaf is from a silk flower.)



Now stuff the liner in (be sure you have the right side facing out when you put it in the bag) and sew it to the top of the bag. Add the straps and you're ready to trick-or-treat!

All photographs by © IrisEyes,2012.

Thanks to all
Happy Halloween
Carrol Swanson
IrisEyes

Thanks, Carrol for sharing with us your project!

Lucia
TAKE YOUR PICTURE

Comments

  1. A fun project. I'm keeping a close eye on Take Your Picture for more Frida digital artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrol, all I can say is, "WOW!" I absolutely love everything featuring Frida Kahlo and, because my child's birthday is on Halloween, the bag is even more exquisite and meaningful. Only thing - If I can't follow your instructions, please know that I will be contacting you to inquire if you have an extra for sale!

    Many thanks in advance for the wonderfully original idea!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Italian Music Sheet

Today I'm posting this lovely Vintage Italian Music sheet ( size 8.5 x11 inch) perfect for scrapbooking projects or for making invites, invitation card, wedding decoration, birthday card, cupcake toppers, party decorations, gift wrap, packaging ... and more. I have colored this wonderful sheet in these colors: -blue, -lavander -rose and green. Thanks!!

Vintage Clip Art - Anchor Silhouette

Longing for the sea and the desire to decorate in  marine style  corners of our homes. Today I decided to publish this beautiful vintage anchor clip art. I hope you like it. Hugs

Alice in Wonderland Vintage illustration - "You're nothing but a pack of cards!".

This lovely vintage illustration of Alice in Wonderland is taken from an old 1800's book. Hugs